This homemade deodorant recipe in a coconut and lavener scent will be made and ready to use in under 5 minutes!
A while back, I was perusing Pinterest when I saw an interesting pin. I followed the link to the MommyPotamus web site (Who else! Love her!) and found directions for making this deodorant.
But the directions didn’t give measurements and left things pretty open and creative. So I thought I’d take it a bit further by not only giving you measurements, but talking about how long this amount will last and even the cost for the various ingredients. It literally costs pennies to make!
This stuff is incredibly easy to make! If you’ve ever mashed some potatoes with a fork, then you can make this highly effective deodorant.
Now, it’s only fair to tell you that this deodorant will NOT keep you from perspiring.
BUT… that being said, you are SUPPOSED to sweat through your arm pits. Mainstream deodorants clog sweat glands which is not good for our bodies and slows down detoxification. Simply put, our pits were meant to sweat. So if you’re body tends to be a little heavy on the perspiration, this may not be the deodorant for you. But if you are in a situation to not really care one way or the other, or you don’t perspire that much, than this might be just up your alley!
I purchased my:
- arrowroot at $3.59 per pound. For the small bag I bought, it was a whopping $1.50.
- baking soda at Costco for about $6 for a 13.5 pound bag. (And I only need 1/4 cup!)
- lavender oil for about $6 for a 10ml bottle (which will last a long time if I only use it for this!)
- organic, virgin coconut oil at Trader Joe’s for just a hair over $5 for 16 fl. oz. (That’s just $0.63 per batch!)
So while it’s tough to pinpoint an exact price based on what I bought, you can quickly see where it’s very cost effective to make this yourself.
Personally, I love this stuff! It’s fantastic and really does manage every bit of B.O. my pits can muster. (TMI?) Thanks to MommyPotamus for sharing such a wonderful and effect deodorant!
Remember to subscribe to my free, newsletter to receive all my latest projects and blog posts in your inbox! Click here to sign up!
HOMEMADE BODY PRODUCTS:
HOMEMADE DEODORANT RECIPE
Coconut Lavender Deodorant
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil (in liquid state)
- 4 drops essential lavender oil (make sure it's the real stuff!)
- In a medium mixing bowl, mash these together with a fork until you have a nice paste and can actually pick up the deodorant and mold it into a ball.
- Be sure to store in an air-tight container
- To apply, rub a small amount (about 1/4 - 1/2 tsp.) on each pit, rubbing into the skin until you can't see it.
- Note: If your skin becomes irritated, cut the baking soda in half the next time you make this. I have even left it out completely at times. Some people can tolerate it, some people cant. It definitely makes for better odor control, but it's not necessary if you are more sedentary.
- This batch will last for about 2-4 months, depending on how much you use.