These mug toppers are the perfect way to decorate your coffee bar for the fall season!
If you enjoy decorating your coffee bar seasonally like I do, you are going to love this easy-peasy, DIY mug toppers that add a fun and festive touch for fall. These pumpkin spice dusted, faux whipped cream, decorative toppers really dress up your fall mugs. Use straws that have autumn colors or prints and your coffee bar will be just as festive as the turning leaves outside!
They are also pretty inexpensive. Other than the pastry bag and tip, which I already had on hand, I was able to purchase everything at Dollar Tree and it took less than $4 to make up two mug toppers with plenty of leftover items. Meaning, you could make more for very little.
These decorative toppers make wonderful autumn-inspired gifts as well! Pair them with some nice mugs and maybe a bag of mulling spices for hot apple cider, and you’ve got a wonderful house warming, birthday or special occasion gift. And for the coffee lovers in your life, include a bag of their favorite coffee grounds and a jar of pumpkin spice so they can make their own pumpkin spice lattes at home! After all, what’s autumn without a pumpkin spice latte?! I shudder at the mere thought of it!
If you really wanted to get festive, you could even sprinkle some orange glitter on these along with the pumpkin spice. Just make sure you don’t get glitter in your coffee!
There really is no limit to how you could decorate these, and they could even be a fun project for kids old enough to handle a pastry bag. Think, holidays gifts. (Yes, I said it. The holidays are lurking and will be here faster than we can blink!)
Any way you make these, your coffee bar will be fun and festive for the fall season!
Remember to subscribe to my free, newsletter to receive all my latest projects and blog posts in your inbox! Click here to sign up!
FUN FALL DIY PROJECTS:
Faux Pumpkin Spice Whipped Cream Mug Toppers
- Disposable stir stick - wood is best (like a popsicle stick)
- 1 container Lightweight spackling
- 1 container White acrylic paint
- 1 shaker Pumpkin spice
- 2 standard Paper colored straws
- 1 medium Disposable pastry bag w/ star tip (affiliate link)
- 1 standard Pastry bag coupler (If not purchasing the kit linked in the previous item)
- Collect all your supplies onto your work surface.
- Take the mug that you will be using and trace the outline on a piece of waxed paper.
- Stir a small amount of water and about 1 Tablespoon of white craft paint into your spackling container and mix it up well, you don’t need much water, just enough to loosen it up a bit.
- Trim off the end of your pastry bag and attach the coupler and star tip.
Place the bag in a jar and fold back the top couple inches over the jar to hold it open.
Scoop out your mixed spackling into the pastry bag, if you are using the small 6 oz. tub from Dollar Tree it takes 1 tub for each mug topper. Twist the top of the bag closed.
- Put your fingers just above the mixture, squeezing it downward as you twirl a small amount of prepared spackling in the center of the waxed paper to get the tip primed and get a feel for it.
- Continue swirling and creating a dome of “whipped” cream that has a tall center tip, just like frosting a cupcake!
- While spackling is still wet sprinkle with pumpkin spice to add another realistic touch.
- Cut your paper straws down until they are a few inches taller than the whipped cream and press one into your whipped cream.
- Let your creation harden overnight if the underside is still a bit damp flip it upside down over another cup or mug and let it sit overnight again so that it can fully dry and harden.
- Rest your completed mug topper on your favorite seasonal mug and enjoy this fun little idea for sprucing them up.