This watermelon snowman bowl is a fun way to serve a healthy snack during the holidays!
I know, watermelon is usually considered a summer fruit. But actually, you can get it year round if you look! So when I found a whole melon at the grocery store in November, I thought it would make a great holiday serving bowl for some Christmas events we have coming up here. I took it to a party and everyone not only loved the bowl, but the idea of cookie-cutter watermelon pieces had everyone talking (and eating!).
Nobody can resist watermelon, especially at a holiday event. It’s the one dish that always gets eaten completely!
Did you know that watermelon is 92% water? That’s a great way to stay hydrated when that winter heater is drying you out. And I bet you didn’t know that even the rind is edible! Now, I didn’t serve the rind to anybody. My fellow party goers were not that brave. But they sure did enjoy the fruit!
Here’s how to make the bowl.
Remember to subscribe to my free, newsletter to receive all my latest projects and blog posts in your inbox! Click here to sign up!
WATERMELON SNOWMAN BOWL:
Watermelon Snowman Bowl
- Pumpkin Carving Tool Kit
- 1 medium watermelon
- First, wash your watermelon.
- Then level out the bottom of your melon so it doesn't roll away from you. Cut off a thin slice from the bottom of the melon.
- Tape your pattern to your melon.
- Cut off the excess watermelon surrounding your snowman. Just be sure to leave the bowl area fully in tact.
- Using your carving tools, trace your pattern onto your melon.
- Cut away the excess watermelon behind your snowman.
- Hollow out the bowl area, reserving all the watermelon in a separate bowl.
- Scrape and carve your pattern into your melon, making sure not to put a lot of pressure on the snowman during cutting. You don't want that piece of the rind to break off!
- Now use all the remaining watermelon and some cookie cutters to cut out whatever shapes you'd like your watermelon to be. Make sure to keep them small so they are easy to eat and easy to fill the bowl with.
- Fill the bowl with the cut out watermelon, wrap the whole thing with plastic wrap and chill for a few hours before serving!